As diverse as sports and the different types of sports are, as diverse is the law regulating this field. Sports law is a cross-sectional matter dealing with various legal issues:
- Sports clubs and associations have to comply with association, labour and social security law
- As regards athletes, labour law issues as well as marketing and personality rights must be observed
- Marketing also plays a key role for event organizers. However, various event law and security issues need to be taken into account.
- E-sports become increasingly popular and attract more and more fans. Meanwhile, there are even various competitions and championships. Those new developments also require regulation.
Due to the increasing professionalization and commercialisation of sports numerous legal regulations have to be observed when working in the field of sports.
We advise athletes, sports clubs, associations as well as event organizers and sponsors on all matters of sports law. We consider it as our duty to provide the necessary legal certainty for athletes as well as sports clubs in order to be able to focus on their sports. As permanent partner of the Austrian Sports Association (BSO) and various other Austrian sports umbrella organizations we offer many years of experience and detailed expertise in the field sports law. Additionally Hon.-Prof. Dr. Gottfried Korn is chairman of the Permanent Neutral Arbitration Court of the Österreichische Fußball-Bundesliga (Austrian federal football league) and its registrar.
Our services include:
- Drafting and review of contracts for athletes, managers, sports clubs, consultants, scouts and sponsors
- Comprehensive legal counselling and representation concerning legal aspects of sports marketing (e.g. questions relating to trademarks and copyright or personality rights
- Legal advice regarding labour law or social security law issues in conjunction with sports as well as representation in court and before authorities
- Defence and enforcement of civil right claims especially for injunction or damages based on the protection of the image, defamation, libel or right to a name